Thursday, May 3, 2012

Of Mice And Men Section 1

1. How is section 1 the same/different from your expectations?

Section 1 has a similar setting to what I expected. Lennie and George are migrant farmers like I predicted. They are looking for a job and have found one at a ranch. Obviously my prediction is not detailed like the book but I had the right idea. There was no mention of the dustbowl and it seemed like it had some comedy in it. For example, Lennie got in trouble because he wanted to touch a woman's dress because it was soft like a mouse.

2. What dreams do George and Lenny have?

George and Lenny want to have a ranch they can call their own. Lenny wants rabbits. George wants livestock. Their dream is to have their own farm. Lennie extremely excited over this idea. George seems a little bit less enthused but also sincerely wants the dream to come true.

3. Do you think their dreams will be fulfilled?

From the first section of the book, there is little to hint that they will fullfill their dreams. I think in the end they will fullfill their dreams but they won't be happy. Something will happen in the book that will make them no longer want a farm. They will want something else, perhaps they will become rich but want it to be the way it was before.

4. I liked the imagery and the detail it had. I could picture the scene unfolding. It helped me imagine the scene taking place. I also liked the way Lennie and George interact. It reminds me of a Bugs Bunny episode called "Bugs and Thugs". The scene was easy to follow, there weren't any bad things to say about it. There was nothing that could have been done better in my opinion

5. Where are they walking? On a highway? A trail?
What jobs are the getting at the ranch?
How did George become friends with Lennie?


1 comment:

  1. I never personally thought about it like that, about their dreams and wether they will be full filled. You raise a valid point, that after years of working, they might want more, or want something else other than a farm. Also i i found that imagery was really good in this book so far and it allowed me to be able to have a perfect mental picture of where the scene was taking place.

    In response to your first 3 questions, from all the imagery provided i gathered that that they were walking on a sort of winding road, thats kind of sandy and dusty , and their is a sort of cliff on the other side. I thought this, because the fact that they were able to find a place to stay on the side of the road, would not have been possible near the city.

    ReplyDelete